(Post 6) Film I watched over the Summer

www.youtube.com
Script:
Over the summer I watched the classic film "Breakfast Club".
Breakfast Club came out in 1985, and was directed by John Hughes.
"What had you ever heard of this film before". I had heard about this film many times before, being called a classic masterpiece and that it NEEDS to be watched.
"What happened in it". The synopsis of the film is that a diverse group of high schoolers ared forced to spend detention on a Saturday in the library.
Forced to make the best of their circumstances, they learn to understand each other and discover that in spite of their initial differences,
they actually share many common feelings and problems which then bands them together.
"What was good?". Well my favourite feature of the film is that it may only be set in one location, but they utilize that location to its fullest,
rather than setting being a key focus, it is rather just a small factor which plays a part to the story, being that they're stuck in detention
on a saturday. The story is amazingly enjoyable and is extremely gripping just through the amazing characters, acting, and script,
with the editing being simply fantastic at certain points, especially the montages. All of this doesn't need a bundle of complex and varying settings,
and that's what makes it brilliant.
"What was bad?". In my opinion it is very hard to find a flaw in the Breakfast Club, I suppose my least favourite part is right at the begginning,
after the kids are dropped off and are first in the library, I was confused to what was happenning and why they were there
and if the entire film was going to be set there, which at the first idea of, I wasn't sure if I was going to like.
However little did I know the treat I was in store for when the film got going.
"What did you enjoy?". I loved the character development, at the end of the film I felt like I knew all of the characters personally,
including the teacher. Through character development, the setting outside of the school is painted in my mind through the descriptions of the family life of all the students,
similar to reading a book, it may not be that you can see the settings but I personally can picture settings in which these characters reside in outside of school
and I think that is utterly brilliant.
"What didn't you enjoy?". Well what I previously said about the part that I found "bad" was simply just because I was confused and that's why I didn't enjoy it at first,
however that confusion became something that I wanted the characters to reveal which they eventually did. That's the only part I can say that I didn't enjoy,
however if I were to rewatch it, I would find something that I like about it. In other words I'm really struggling to think of any example of a moment which I found
bad or that I didn't enjoy.
"Anything you would like to use as stimulus/ ideas for your short film" The idea of making one setting really interesting and getting to know the character(s)
I would love to be able to recreate that.
"Would you recommend the film to anyone else?" Definitely 100%, Breakfast Club is a must watch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Post 5) Why are there short films?

Montage Sequence

(Post 4) Generating Film Ideas Sheet